2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick Your Least Favorite Character Of Arrow Season 5! 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick Your Least Favorite Character Of Arrow Season 5!
Fans are invited to pick their least favorite character of Arrow Season 5. 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick Your Least Favorite Character Of Arrow Season 5!

We stayed a bit too long in the last category thanks to distractions like Comic-Con, but voting now continues in the annual GreenArrowTV Awards – honoring the best and not-so-best of the most recent Arrow season.

As always, fans of any show have opinions. This is the chance for those fans to recognize the things they did (or didn’t) like this past year. Details on some other things like IP limits, etc. are discussed in this post.

The current category now is Least Favorite Arrow Season 5 Character. On any show, there might be a character you can’t stand… here’s a chance to call that character out. Obviously, a lot of characters came through on Season 5, so if you have a character you didn’t like who is not listed please feel free to write them in. (As long as we are in agreement that Flash Season 3 Barry Allen was the TOTAL worst, except in the musical where he was absolutely delightful.)

Voting in past categories (including Favorite Character) can still be done and will be a thing you can do through the end of the voting period. Come back in a few days for the next topic!

You can see last year’s results here. – Pre-order Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season on Blu-ray!

• Pall

August 5, 2017 #1 Author

Susan Williams. I’ve never had the displeasure of witnessing a more odious character. Not only did she have zero purpose, but she made Oliver look like the biggest idiot and tool in the world. This character, imo, did a lot of damage to Oliver’s character for me which makes me sad. But episodes 17-23 redeemed him for me.

August 5, 2017 #2 Author

It’s unfortunate that Susan Williams and Billy Malone in many ways were just plot devices because the actors playing them were quite talented. But really, I was more upset over the notion that Prometheus tricked Oliver into doing it than I was in the notion that Billy had died.

I don’t think it was bad writing or anything, either; it was just that both had the thankless job of causing interference and drama.

I can’t even remember where the season left off with Susan. That’s kind of sad.

• StillRestless

August 5, 2017 #3 Author

The thing is that they didnt even try with Billy. He was a non entity and everybody knew it since he was introduced. Susan was a bigger issue since Oliver was behaving like an idiot and he risk his relationship with his sister and friends just to defend her. While completely disregarding that the reporter was gonna expose him if she had the chance. The best thing with that storyline was Oliver walking away.

• Pall

August 5, 2017 #4 Author

Personally I thought it was bad writing considering how unnecessary they were. If they needed Felicity to go down her darker path, well she’s already been through a lot of bad stuff in season 4 that she didn’t even need a Billy to feel helpless to the point where she lets the ends justify the means.

As for Susan, not only did she make Oliver really dumb (because multiple people warned him about her and Susan screwed over his own sister), but Oliver asking Felicity to help him get back together with Susan was all kinds of gross to me and way out of character. This was just for the sake of keeping her relevant for no reason… I don’t even think Susan caused that much drama… She was just there.

IMO it was all contrived writing and contrived writing is bad writing.

August 5, 2017 #5 Author

I liked Billy. Yes, he was a plot point but he was an idealist, an honest cop who tried his best and treated everyone with respect. He even reacted well to Felicity revealing to him that she worked with the Green Arrow. And unlike Oliver and Ray he never lied to her.
        Susan Williams won out over Rene as my vote for least favourite character. (Evelyn was third but that’s because they never bothered to write a cohesive story for her. One minute she’s angry at Oliver for being a killer in the past and the next she’s working with Chase who is a multiple serial killer in the present.)
        They were so busy trying to throw dust in our eyes about Susan, making us think she’s shady, that they never showed why she wasn’t. She came on determined to bring Oliver down and her first action was to backstab Thea. Then she put the moves on Oliver to get more dirt on him and bribed his security detail to tell her when he was leaving work so she could take him out for a drink and ply him with liquor, and she was the one show pushed him into her bed.. At the same time she was paying a PI to investigate him and repeatedly trying to get the dirt on him to reveal his secrets as an investigative reporter. In fact, when Thea spiked her guns with Felicity’s help, she even said to Oliver “Now I can’t reveal that you are the Green Arrow”.
        The only time Susan Williams was sympathetic was after Chase had kidnapped her and she told Oliver she wouldn’t reveal that he is the Green Arrow..
        .And all respectable journalists should have been appalled at this character who slept with the guy she was investigating so she could get more dirt on him.
        Massive fail for all the screen-time she received

• Verena

August 5, 2017 #6 Author

Susan Williams. That character had no purpose whatsoever. It could have been interesting with her being a reporter and unearthing secrets, but the way this storyline went, it just made Oliver look like a big dumb idiot and made me actually dislike his character.

• Sasha

August 6, 2017 #7 Author

“I’ve never had the displeasure of witnessing a more odious character.”

Felicity Smoak.

• Pall

August 6, 2017 #8 Author

How mature… You know you can make your own comments about your hatred of Felicity below. No need to respond to my original post – which imo is a d*ck move…

• Susan

August 7, 2017 #9 Author

So Felicity sleeps with Oliver after she broke up with him, then tells him she doesn’t want to talk, leaves him hanging on, doesn’t give him a second chance to explain, even though he says he will wait for her, she moves on with another man, without telling Oliver for 6 months, and yet you find Susan Williams to be the worst. Why are Felicity fans always hating on other female characters for reasons their favorite also does. Why the double standard. Susan genuinely likes Oliver in the end and do not disclose his secrets, she even becomes a victim because if him but still wants to be with him. Yes she investigates him, but that’s her job, and it is before she realizes he is a great man.

• Muriel

August 5, 2017 #10 Author

That’s an easy one. Susan Williams – by far!
    That character along with Billy Malone just made no sense in terms of writing – except they made Billy serve as target practice for Oliver, which I found to be just horrible. BUT Susan? At the end of the season that character had served no purpose. At first I really thought they were going somewhere with that story line, but somehow – for whatever reason – it seems that halfway through the season they just dropped that whole thing like a hot potato and threw it away.

• Lyla

August 5, 2017 #11 Author

There are a lot of characters I would’ve considered to bet ”the worst”. Like I really didn’t like how they handled Evelyn. That has nothing to do with the actress, and I actually like the idea that one of the ”newbies” turned out a traitor, but the way it played out, and her motivation – just WHEN and HOW she turned should’ve been explained better… and just overall, something was missing with her – like it could’ve been a really good storyline, but…wasn’t. And oh boy how I disliked Rene in the beginning. Not just in the first episode, all over through the crossovers he annoyed me big time. But, ok, they redeemed him somehow. Mostly because of the Lance friendship storyline. I also, of course, see no reason at all for an Earth 2 metahuman to be a character on Arrow, and it was pretty clear Black Siren was there only because Katie Cassidy had to be there, but all of this is absolutely NOTHING compared to the absolute stupidity of the character of Susan Williams. They wanted a reporter to investigate Oliver Queen the Mayor for his obvious shadiness. Well, sure, it was about time. But absolutely everything about how they handled it was wrong. Starting from the fact that her first outing was being bitchy towards Thea – a character almost every Arrow fan now likes. Then she asked out the subject of her investigation. It wasn’t a slow spark that just built there (which would’ve been only human, two attractive people after all), she brutally violated a very important ethical boundary early on. And speaking of sparks, there were none. Then she totally continued investigating him while dating him, oh, they also made her go to his office and ask why they hadn’t slept together yet ??? And then the writers said they don’t see anything wrong with her… Everything about her, everything, led the viewer to believe she was a backstabber, and then they say Oliver was right to trust her….. Well, let me say, just because in the end they wrote it so that she keeps her mouth shut, doesn’t mean Oliver should’ve *been* with her. The only thing that made sense in this whole Susan Williams mess was Oliver’s dialogue with Diggle. O:” I don’t know what I was thinking!” D: ” You were thinking you were lonely man…” THAT makes sense. Not trusting someone who’s investigating you and pushing you to sleep with them at the same time and then saying it was the right call. SO, YES. Susan Williams SUCKED! LOL

• Melissa

August 6, 2017 #12 Author

Hee! Let me just second voyeur whole post. Every word. 🙂

• Melissa

August 6, 2017 #13 Author

Where did voyeur come from? Should have been “your” lol.

• Stacey

August 5, 2017 #14 Author

I think for me would be Susan, Billy or even Evelyn.
    There were alot of characters I didnt like this season actually.

Susan came across as a person willing to do anything for a story. She did not seem like a genuine person. I will still never understand why Oliver cared more about protecting her job then he did about his sister leaving town.
    I guess I didnt hate billy though, I mean he was such an insignificant character that even when he died there was no imoact because we hardly saw him on screen. Then we had to try and pretend that Felicity used her “grief” from his death to join helix when she could hardly even call him her boyfriend. Him and susan were just characters used for drama and that really turned me off of the first half of the season.
    And Evelyn was turned into this nasty character which was sad. Having her trick Oliver the way she did just made us instantly dislike her which is a shame because I liked her in the beginning.

August 5, 2017 #15 Author

Felicity didn’t even need Billy for her Helix arc. She first got in touch with Helix to get Diggle out of jail. Then she contacted them again to save Susan after Chase kidnapped her, and then Oliver after Chase kidnapped him. If Billy had never existed, Felicity’s Helix arc would still have been the same.-
      Billy was about Oliver, not Felicity. He was created to date Felicity so that Oliver could move on to date Susan and sleep with her, and to give Oliver someone to kill who had some impact but not too much.

• Arrowfan

August 6, 2017 #16 Author

Lord have mercy if it isn’t Susan Williams. I wanted to take my eyes out everytime she came on screen and Oliver acted like a complete tool. I mean, never has Oliver looked more like a meat head in the entire series and we all know he is not the smartest bulb. However, this just takes the price. On top of that, is an insult to journalists in the entire world. How gross! Plus Billy make Felicitys character look bad. She looked like a two time player, hooking up with Billy and not telling Oliver. I mean, wasn’t she supposed to show that she cared for him more than that? Lastly, they get rid of them 2 props and get right away back to business. Lol love Olicity but the writers screwed them up both since the end of season 4 with the baby drama bs. Thankfully, by the end of season 5, the writers came back to their senses and started to make sense again.

• Christie

August 5, 2017 #17 Author

This one was really tough because on the one hand I hate Susan Williams and I don’t care if she did keep Olivers secret, I still don’t think she deserves to be trusted. There is something fishy about her to me. She investigate she Oliver to discover that he is the Arrow…to just keep it a secret?? I’m not buying it for a second. I don’t think we have heard the last of her yet, especially after she finds out Oliver and Felicity are back together after olivers whole ‘I can’t be with you because it isn’t safe’ speech.

But I also can’t STAND Evelyn. I like the idea of someone on the inside of team arrow going against Oliver but the way it was handed was poor. Hopefully, thanks to Chase, she is gone now.

I still had to vote for Susan Williams though. Her character is even less trustworthy than Evelyn’s. sadly, I really don’t think we have seen the last of her. Grr

• Tiera

August 5, 2017 #18 Author

Susan has to be the all time worst character to ever be portrayed on Arrow. If she doesn’t cause Oliver to be legally investigated in season 6, I won’t know why they ever introduced her on the show or chose to write her so terribly. She was unlikable from the very beginning and her unethical behavior only made her that much more unbearable.

• Nik

August 5, 2017 #19 Author

Susan Williams by far. No point to her story, no chemistry with Oliver, and nothing likeable about her.

• abberrysnow

August 5, 2017 #20 Author

Felicity hands down, her hypocritical ways, undermining Oliver, along with her constant verbal abuse and abandonment towards everyone was infuriating to watch. I really anticipated a great storyline for Felicity, not involving Oliver since they broke up (much like Laurel’s story of heroism), but alas, that is hoping for too much.

I really hope they allow Felicity to grow away from Oliver and be her own hero, in the same way Laurel did.

• Lyzette Alyssia

August 6, 2017 #21 Author

Wow! I don’t know what alternate universe Arrow you’re watching, but come over to the real world. The Felicity Smoak I watch is a fascinating kickass character who had a wonderful story line this season showcasing her history, her intelligence, her compassion and, per John Diggle, her superhero power — a huge sense of empathy.

• Steve

August 5, 2017 #22 Author

Felicity is an absolute joke. Should have been killed off a few seasons ago.

• Lizzie

August 5, 2017 #23 Author

Evelyn was awful but Susan Williams was one of the show’s most pointless characters whose arc went nowhere. They set her up to be “bad” but then tried to act like she wasn’t and that she wasn’t wrong in sleeping with the man she was investigating. So insulting to me as a viewer. I still wonder if her story was planned to end differently and they changed it last minute. But she’s still the worst. Not even the actress saved it which is unfortunate because Carly is usually great.

• Michael CJ

August 5, 2017 #24 Author

There was so much to dislike in season 5 but Susan was god awful could of been used Thea vs Susan to make the character interesting but no instead they made Oliver dumb AF. Billy poor fool’s existence was just ridiculous.

• Nick

August 5, 2017 #25 Author

Felicity no doubt. Not only is she a hypocritical bitch, she disobeys direct orders for selfish reasons, betrayed the team for some selfish revenge. Shes by for the worst thing to come out of the arrowverse

• Melissa

August 6, 2017 #26 Author

Even Oliver says she’s not his employee so she’s under no obligations to obey orders.

August 6, 2017 #27 Author

You mean like when she told Curtis, Rene and Dinah not to trust the Black Siren? She was right about that and Oliver was the one who was wrong. Why is getting revenge for Billy a selfish reason?.
      Four seasons ago Oliver told Felicity she was his partner, not his employee. And after working with him for five years, she has more cred to do her. own thing than Rene who was proudly disobeying Oliver’s order right from the start.

• Nick

August 8, 2017 #28 Author

How about when she broke up with him cause he couldnt tell her about his son

• Melissa

August 8, 2017 #29 Author

A reasonable response. You don’t hide something like that from a serious relationship partner, not if you expect to keep the relationship.

• Tie

August 6, 2017 #30 Author

Susan Williams, is the most idiotic.
    Black Siren isn’t nearly as terrible as E1 Laurel Lance, but definitely not a winner… actually she must be a selfish bitch on every Earth. (She’s done nothing to earn redemption, but oh, oh, she’s amazing, give her a redemption arc. ‘A clear example of being hypocritical.’)
    Billy Malone, was just plain sad.

• Gale Peacock

August 6, 2017 #31 Author

Black Siren, no doubt. I could see why they would have Billy, Susan Williams or Evelyn. They were plot devices, badly written plot devices, sure, but they still moved the story along. Black Siren is a mere minion, an incompetent one at that. The whole thing is made even worse by Katie Cassidy’s laughable acting.

• Gale Peacock

August 6, 2017 #32 Author

Hey Craig! Why does my comment keep getting deleted? I’m not using profanities or violating any site conditions as far as I know. Is criticizing Black Siren and/or Katie Cassidy a no-no on this site?

August 6, 2017 #33 Author

For the 90th time, comments not being approved is not a censorship issue, so much as needing to approve comments from people who have never commented before. It’s a protection against spam any website or blog would have. Stop seeing agendas when they aren’t happening. Seriously, if you don’t believe me have a friend with an IP that’s never been approved before say something you don’t like, and it’ll be stuck in the queue just as long as this one was.

I was on a long non-site work shift last night, and didn’t get to approve comments until this morning.

• Andrew

August 6, 2017 #34 Author

For me it was Evelyn Sharpe, and it wasn’t because of the actress. It all came down to the writing- or lack thereof. She’s brought on as a new team member, but as soon as she learns that Oliver used to kill, teh criminals he pursued, her immediate response is to sign on to work with a serial killer who was killing cops and innocent people. Huh?! Then she vanishes for half the season, then comes back to kidnap Thea and Lance., gets punked on the Island, and is left in a cage when the island blows up. What a waste.

I know a lot of people say Susan Williams or Billy Malone are worse characters, but for me they were just forgettable. Love interests for main characters that aren’t a part of the main cast are almost always red shirts waiting to die or disappear. Just look at Mckenna Hall, or whats-his name (Thea’s boyfriend in Season 4).

• Kevin Schneider

August 6, 2017 #35 Author

I really like Mr. Terrific from the comics. They need to step up his character in the show. Get him a GD haircut, especially. Toughen him up too.
    It’s a shame. Looking at it now, David Ramsey would have made an a Terrific Michael Holt. The show would be a lot better with that dynamic. It would be Arrow & Terrific as partners, both on equal footing.

• Justin

August 6, 2017 #36 Author

As long as Cupid is on the poll for ‘Worst Character’, she’ll always get my vote. Couldn’t stand her since her introduction in Season 3.

• Lyzette Alyssia

August 6, 2017 #37 Author

This poll was surprisingly tough. Susan Williams’ story line was just awful, Curtis was so annoying, Black Siren was laughably badly written and badly acted. In the end I went with Susan because she made me hate Oliver for almost the entire season for his super idiotic decisions with regards to her.

• JFINN

August 6, 2017 #38 Author

I give my vote to the supposed new Black Canary Dinah/Tina. No offense to Julianna H. I think shes a good actress and gorgeous but her whole character is an example of lazy writing. The show runners bringing back Black Canary but don’t put the right character of actress in the role.Not to mention in season 6 Dinah/Tina is getting a character arc and love interest which could have done with Laurel. They could have retconned Laurel’s death due to Flashpoint but the someone in creative maybe Marc or Wendy don’t like Katie Cassidy.

• Leo

August 7, 2017 #39 Author

Evelyn and susan were annoying but easily plot devuces they come and go have no weight and they dint last so it doesn’t really matter, curtis needs to stop being so cringe all the time, we get it arrow writers you don’t know how to write more than 2 characters. But for me least favorite is thea, always just a drag, and most hated is laurel lance, sghe was finally dead and they have to bring her back, let her die in peace i was happy i might actually be abke to watch arrow without getting angry at the combination of bad writing and worse acting but no, had to bring her back somehow. Alao can they stop with the: can you guys give us the room, you dont need a forced 1 to 1 conversation every episode.

August 7, 2017 #40 Author

LOL at the same people saying Felicity. You people are just so ridiculous. Felicity is untouchable just like Oliver, Diggle and Thea.

You have characters on this show like Susan who serves no purpose, like BS who says things like “you stole my life” that makes no sense. She was never Black Canary. It’s just all so funny to me that some dude bros from Reddit always seem to come here for this poll to say Felicity without actually backing it up with facts. Just insanely reasons as to why you hate her.

• Jordan Pooley

August 9, 2017 #41 Author

Felicity! shes been a terrible character for 4 seasons now

• Melissa

August 10, 2017 #42 Author

I thought the official line was to say you liked her in seasons one and two before they ruined her character? No love for two now either?

• Shawn

August 16, 2017 #43 Author

I never liked Felicity actually. She went from me being indifferent to being annoyed by her.