2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Best Episode of Arrow Season 5! 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Best Episode of Arrow Season 5!
Fans are invited to pick their favorite episode of Arrow Season 5 in the 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards. 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Best Episode of Arrow Season 5!

Now that it’s summer hiatus time, it’s time to start collecting votes for this year’s GreenArrowTV Awards – honoring the best and not-so-best of the recent Arrow season.

As always, fans of any show have opinions. This is the chance for those fans to recognize the things they did (or didn’t) like this past year.

Some housekeeping… so there is no “confusion”…

• Votes are limited to ONE vote per IP. This means, there’s no way to “cheat” on this poll that we are aware of, and as such, the responses will be accurate.
  • The polls will remain open until we’re done for the summer. We’re keeping all polls open throughout the process, until the time we make the final tally. Do know, though, if you already voted and are given another opportunity to vote later, only the first vote from your IP will be counted.
  • Results will be posted before the start of Arrow Season 6.
  • Have fun! This is a way to point out the best aspects of Arrow.

Our first category for this year is Best Episode – surely out of 23 episodes, you had a favorite! Do remember if you want your favorites to win, you need to vote and tell your friends to as well, as the fans who mobilize are the ones who “win.” Come back in a few days for another category.

You can see last year’s results here. – Pre-order Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season on Blu-ray!

• Ray

June 5, 2017 #1 Author

Seeing how hard it is to choose only one episode is making me realise just how good this season was. I really loved the some episodes in the first half “the recruits” “human target” and “what we leave behind”. But the second half of the season was something else. 5×15 to 5×23 may be the strongest stretch of episodes any season has had other than arguably 2×01 to 2×09. But i would choose lian yu because every scene that episode was just fantastic from Start to finish.

• suzy

June 5, 2017 #2 Author

le face a face Prometheus et Arrow est une tres forte intensité et les acteurs sont éblouissants dans la scène de torture physique et surtout morale

• Lizzie

June 5, 2017 #3 Author

I can think of only 6-7 episodes I really enjoyed this season so this was an easy choice for me!

• Lex

June 5, 2017 #4 Author

I would argue those 6-7 episodes were some damn good television.

• Lizzie

June 7, 2017 #5 Author

I wouldn’t go that far! Some really great episodes but not ones I’d consider rewatching though. But still much much better than the rest of the season!

• Nevalyn Kimbrell

June 5, 2017 #6 Author

From start to finish Lian Yu for sure!!!

• Pall

June 5, 2017 #7 Author

I value characterization way more than plot so I’m going to go with 5×20.

June 5, 2017 #8 Author

I wish 519 and 520 could be considered as one episode because they were both about characterization and resolution. Like in a volleyball game, 519 set up the ball and 520 spiked it over the net.

June 5, 2017 #9 Author

Back when I first started doing this sort of thing at KryptonSite, Best Episode and such were narrowed down to 5 of 6 final nominees, but that meant even more episodes would have been left out. It’d be nice if a story arc or a back-to-back thing could be recognized, but I’m not entirely sure how to do so. If you have suggestions, I’m all ears. 🙂

• Ashley

June 5, 2017 #10 Author

There were some really awesome episodes for me but the winner is that finale! It made me excited for next year. Also made me wish Moira would come back. Oliver needs a mother figure. Poor baby!

• Tim

June 5, 2017 #11 Author

5×20 should have been as early as 4×21 or no later than 5×05. Dragging out the breakup was foolish and ruined S5. The show is so much better with Felicity and Oliver together doing Green Arrow missions, and away from the lair as a couple. I can’t hear the name “Billy” without wanting to puke.

The very idea Felicity isn’t smart, compassionate, loving, or observant enough to figure Oliver out is an insult to her character. Her losing hope in him and walking away instead of staying and fight for him is so preposterous I can’t see how the writers thought they would get away with it.

• Justin

June 5, 2017 #12 Author

This was the hardest decision of ‘best episode’ I’ve had to call perhaps EVER with Arrow.

Season 1 was tons of fun, but my favorite was “Pilot” due to it hooking me to the show. It was a solid pilot episode.

Season 2’s was no question the episode “Deathstroke”, due to the ongoing intensity the episode kept delivering minute by minute.

Season 3, while a troubling season, had a few highlights – one was “Canaries”, an episode that gave good character beats to the entire cast.

Season 4 had an excellent first half, and “Brotherhood” was a display of how hard the crew on Arrow really works to deliver solid content.

For Season 5? It’s a tough call between “Invasion!”, “Checkmate”, “Kapiushon”, “Disbanded”, and “Lian Yu”. But I think ultimately, it HAS to be “Lian Yu” for helping both the season and show come full-circle, giving strong character moments, and essentially (as of now) delivering a shocking scenario in which the villain (to an extent) WINS. That’s something.

• NikL

June 5, 2017 #13 Author

“Underneath,” hands down. Yes, I’m a total Olicity shipper.

• Pall

June 5, 2017 #14 Author

@ Craig – I made a post on here that got deleted. Is it because I said I liked 520 because I valued characterization over plot? Because there was nothing offensive about my post

• Pall

June 5, 2017 #15 Author

NEVERMIND I SEE IT NOW

June 5, 2017 #16 Author

I’m actually surprised you did, because I thought I just approved it a minute ago?

• Pall

June 5, 2017 #17 Author

I actually saw it the second I posted something else. I didn’t know! Thanks for letting me know of the process.

June 5, 2017 #18 Author

Not a problem! Some spammy words sometimes end up in the queue, but general comments, once someone is approved it’s usually all good for future postings. If you have trouble in the future and don’t see something feel free to post a “hey where is this” or send me a tweet and I’ll take a look.

June 5, 2017 #19 Author

First-time comments from people are always moderated in the queue (or first time from a particular IP). It’s up now. You’re more than welcome to your opinion, it’s not offensive at all. I’m just slow 🙂

• Stacey Tabone

June 5, 2017 #20 Author

I think the last 7 episodes were the best of the season! I loved 5×23 it was such a great finale and I also loved 5×19, 5×20 and 5×22. Hard to choose

• Melissa

June 5, 2017 #21 Author

I so wish I could have picked both 519 and 520.

• Lyla

June 6, 2017 #22 Author

Really didn’t enjoy the first half of the season at all. Mostly because I didn’t like any of the new characters, possibly because they were pushed on the audience all at once in 1-2 eps.. Just like Dinah – I really think they finally cast the right actress, but the way she was just inserted into the group made me wish they would have done it slowly, like with Roy, when everyone fell in love with him slowly. That ”vigilante” storyline is very foggy now and that means I was bored through it. Basically I think the show lacked depth and heart for the first 7 episodes. Starting from ”Invasion” it went uphill. The crossover itself is, of course, a strong contender in this competition, simply because it was a spectacle. James Bamford’s direction was superb and the acting was spot on. I personally was really bothered that the content evolved around aliens (in ARROW 100TH EP!) and Oliver and Laurel’s wedding. On this show they stopped being romantic in season 2, episode 1. This was 5×08. 3 YEARS later they brought the mess back… Anyway, beautiful episode nonetheless. As I said I like episodes with meaning and depth, so, thankfully 5B delivered. ”Who are you?” with the Black Siren twist was interesting, “Špectre of the Gun” surprised me in a good way too, ”Kapiushon” was spectacular acting and brave writing choices. and ”Underneath” was exciting in its own way. It used the show’s actors’ chemistry as strength to the fullest. Amell and Rickards were heartbreaking, I enjoyed the lesson Diggle finally learned, and even the new guys – Rick Gonzalez, Juliana Harkavey had some good moments. It was the first time I realized I’m totally okay with this new team dynamics. Overall, of course, ”Lian Yu” is the ”obvious” winner. Also, a spectacle. Loved how they used Manu – as someone different, the farewell of Malcolm, Katrina Law was excellent too. My complaint would be the ending. As it’s pretty clear almost everybody survives , the suspense just wasn’t there for me. It COULD have been more emotional if we had seen more of Oliver and William through seasons, but right now, for me it was emotional on paper only. Would’ve preferred a closure over a cliffhanger.

• jmskydiver

June 6, 2017 #23 Author

This was such a painful season to watch – I had to pick the crossover in celebration of their 100th episode. It’s a huge accomplishment. Hoping for a great Season 6!

• 134sc

June 7, 2017 #24 Author

Painful in a good way or in a bad way?

• jmskydiver

June 7, 2017 #25 Author

Unfortunately in a bad way. I love the show but Season 5 was off it’s game….

• 134sc

June 8, 2017 #26 Author

Hmm. Interesting. Cuz I thought it was fantastic. And compared to last season its a freakin masterpiece. What didn’t u like about?

• Germana

June 6, 2017 #27 Author

goods episodes started from 5X16 on – before only 5×10 (also 5×05 but very painful from Olicity Point of view) – Preferred on top 5X20 and 5X17 but voted for 5×20 for .. obvious reasons 🙂
    Season not bad but I really disliked the journalist , not only for Olicity but since the beginning for her behaviour and her arc was poorly carried out. And her “history” closed in a too much rushed way, not complaining but could have been better handled. Also Malone was not developed, could have been handled better as well. Arrow remains anyway my favourite show.

June 10, 2017 #28 Author

I have lots of favourites. 5×19 and 5×20 are top!

• 2310

June 12, 2017 #29 Author

3 favorites for me 5×10- 5×19-5×20 and the rest of the season for me was boring and think that especially oliver and felicity had a set back on their characters especially oliver omg what happened to him in this season and I missed felicity, oliver and john together.. hope season 6 will get way better than this one…

• kay

June 12, 2017 #30 Author

for me ‘checkmate’ (5×16) was the best of season 5
    josh segarra was outstanding the episode was written by beth schwartz who has become one of the writers of the best episodes from season-1 onwards. dialogue was brilliant the fight scenes fantastic and adrian poking fun at oliver was so mean it was cute.
    other fave episodes:
    ‘invasion’ is obvious in the top 3.
    “Fighting Fire With Fire”
    “What We Leave Behind”
    “Who Are You?”
    “Vigilante”
    “A Matter of Trust”

———-
    the ones i dont want to see again was “underneath” probably the least liked by a majority of fans and really a case of retconning that awful Olicity mess we were subjected to for 2 whole seasons.
    sorry but no amount of felicity ‘sympathizing’ will ever take back just how truly awful she has been.
    other episodes i don’t wish to see again:
    “Second Chances”
    “Dangerous Liaisons”
    “The Sin-Eater”
    “Human Target”
    despite it being an almost great episode ,dialogue wise “Lian yu’ was pretty bad .i thought adrian/olivers dialogue was really cheesy . everything felt so rushed.
    i mean it had some good fight scenes and all but i feel the fans over rated it. however adrian chase final scene had josh showing how good an actor he is and amell was good to.
    but after that big bang if no-one on team arrow dies then it has failed it’s ‘greatness’ imo.

• Denise

June 13, 2017 #31 Author

5×16 to finale are the redeemung episodes for me specially 520 is the turning point characterization wise. My beloved characters are back! But hands down 523 was awesome. Action, romance, humor, friendships and family all rolled in one episode

• Darius

June 14, 2017 #32 Author

Really hope to see 5×05, 5×17, or 5×23 get the win here. Fantastic episodes. I have nothing against those who watch it for the romance but they somehow invade every poll haha. And the thing is this seasons didnt really have any fantastic romance episode, but they will vote on whatever mediocre episode their character has the most screentime in, just to send a message.

I read a little bit about how this show has apparently has juggernaut fandoms but as a person in the middle here it sort of sucks. 5×05, 5×17, and 5×23 were masterfully done but I guarantee the winner will be some Lauren or felicity episode

• Melissa

June 20, 2017 #33 Author

There was IMO nothing mediocre about Underneath. Lots of strong romance in the flashbacks, great stunts, high stakes and meaningful insights, conversations, and confessions in the present. I even liked all the newbs for the first time. It was a tightly packed and intense package that made the past and present more meaningful. 😀

• Billie

June 14, 2017 #34 Author

The first half of the season was hit and miss, I felt it lacked heart and the characters weren’t particularly recognisable, it felt like they were going through the motions rather than being the characters we’ve come to know and love. This wasn’t helped by episode after episode shoehorning in countless new liability teammates.

The 100th didn’t make any logical sense and although it was nice to see his parents again, there wasn’t any dramatic tension. I didn’t find the 100th that moving. Aliens have no place in Arrow.

After the Winter break, things picked up considerably. 512 was suberb, excellent character work and a trip back to Russia that called back to one of the classic episodes of season 2. 513 was horrendous. Things really got going from 516 through to 523. It really felt like the season basically started at 516, everything before that was placeholder. It wasn’t until we knew who Prometheous was that he got interesting and Josh Segarra came into his own and became the best villain of the series, in my view.

520 was a fantastic episode from start to finish. I love a good bottle episode, and it was refreshingly different to a normal episode. The character work was superb and finally paid off over a year of tension and story between Oliver and Felicity, as well as getting to the heart of Oliver’s struggle this year. I can hardly remember an epside that was more character driven in the history of the show. It showcased each character’s strentghs and what each brings to the team, it allowed them all to shine. The OTA stunt in the elevator shaft was incredibly effective, probably the best of the season, because there was real tension. It was a break through for Oliver’s character that was years in the making. Beautifully done.

523 was great from the perspective of honouring the past of the show, the world the show has created. It actually felt more like a 100th than the actual 100th did. It was a bit rushed, and could have been a two parter, but it was brilliantly done. The tension with William lacks impact because we’ve only seen Oliver share a handful of scenes with William, over a year ago, so that didn’t hold the weight it could have. The way they wrapped the flashbacks into the present day was very clever and satisfying. The ‘cliffhanger’ was fine, it doesn’t have much sting in the tail because we know the core characters will be fine.