2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Worst Episode of Arrow Season 5! 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Worst Episode of Arrow Season 5!
Fans are invited to pick their least favorite episode of Arrow Season 5. 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Worst Episode of Arrow Season 5!

Now that it’s summer hiatus time, it’s time again for voting in the annual GreenArrowTV Awards – honoring the best and not-so-best of the most recent Arrow season.

As always, fans of any show have opinions. This is the chance for those fans to recognize the things they did (or didn’t) like this past year. Details on some other things like IP limits, etc. are discussed in this post.

The second category this time around is for Worst Episode. In 23 episodes, surely there’s one of them that wasn’t as well liked as the rest; sometimes we think we should call it “Least Favorite Episode” because every story has some good in it. If you would prefer to be positive, Best Episode voting can still be done and will be a thing you can do through the end of the voting period.

Do remember that you can only be “heard” if you vote, and you can come back in a few days for another category.

(Also note that the spotlight photo for this article doesn’t imply that an episode should be chosen; it was just a handy picture of Oliver Queen in peril.)

You can see last year’s results here. – Pre-order Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season on Blu-ray!

• Steve

June 13, 2017 #1 Author

I hate Felicity.

• MR

June 13, 2017 #2 Author

I love Felicity

• Kelly

June 13, 2017 #3 Author

She probably hates you too Steve.

• Dave edimon

June 13, 2017 #4 Author

Love Felicity

• Jamie

June 15, 2017 #5 Author

She probably hates no one seeing as she is a fictional character.

June 13, 2017 #6 Author

You probably also hate yourself. Can’t take these type of people seriously. Felicity is a great female character who is smart, funny, beautiful, has a heart of gold and puts her own life on the line for her teammates. Can’t get much better than that.

• Leo

June 14, 2017 #7 Author

Yes! Felicity the great female! Love Felicity

• Arrowette

June 14, 2017 #8 Author

Steve probably hates Felicity because he just cares too much for her, so it is suffocating for him.
      “There’s a fine line between love and hate. Love frees a soul and in the same breath can sometimes suffocate it.” Good choice sir, Felicity Smoak is fine character.

• EdiciusMaximus

June 17, 2017 #9 Author

Not sure if I hate Felicity but definitely hate the god awful writing that springs up whenever the writers attempts to push her into the centre of attention.

• Denise

June 13, 2017 #10 Author

5×13 is the most disconnected episode. Not the right show for a great subject.

• Valie

June 14, 2017 #11 Author

Agree. Fortunately, Rene’s flashbacks made it not totally useless

• Liz

June 13, 2017 #12 Author

Least fave episode? I’m torn between 508 and 513. It’s a bit of a tie.

• Melisa

June 13, 2017 #13 Author

As much as I hate to say it the 100th episode could have been better. I love the what if type of episode. Like what if the gambit never crashed??? But I still didn’t feel that OMG moment I wish I could have had.

• Liz

June 14, 2017 #14 Author

I was so disappointed in the 100th. Aliens don’t ever belong on Arrow. The what-if didn’t work for me either. It felt like it was honoring the first season and not the whole show. I had such high expectations and I just ended up feeling kinda insulted as a long time viewer.

• Billie

June 16, 2017 #15 Author

I agree with this assessment Liz. The aliens were a misstep, and overall it felt like it was honoring a show that hasn’t existed in 4 years, rather than including It also made no logical sense whatsoever – if Oliver hadn’t got on the boat he’d most likely have continued cheating on Laurel like he did before, it’s not like Sara was the first. That also wasn’t Oliver’s dream life, beyond his parents being alive that’s not the life he ever wanted. So it was a bizarre episode. The finale, to me, felt much more like a 100th because it honored who he has become and the past that we’ve actually seen on the show.

• callistawolf

June 13, 2017 #16 Author

Easily 5×13 for me. It was so disjointed and at times, cringey.

• Vidarr

June 19, 2017 #17 Author

If you’re going to borrow from real life for your blatantly fantastic world…at least get the details on the AR-15 correct. The Armalite Rifle 15 is 5.56 NATO, but on the civilian market, the caliber is referred to as .223 Remington and is used for Varmint hunting (smaller animals maxing out at Coyote size). There’s nothing magical about the round. And most of the civilian ammo is simple copper clad lead, whereas the military bullet used is not lead, but tungsten, and there’s normally a weight difference (not always). The AR-15 is NOT full auto capable, nor does it come with the 3 round burst. Those weapons are Class-III weapons that have been regulated since the 1930s and since George Bush First was in office, no civilian has been allowed to purchase new production Class-III weapons.

The AR-15 is a semi-automatic firearm. The so called “ban” merely forbade certain cosmetic features (bayonet lug, flash supressor/muzzle brake) and plenty were manufactured without those features. Didn’t change a thing mechanically about the rifle. Semi-automatic means that you have to pull the trigger for reach round fired. It still has an excellent rate of fire, but it is not a hold-the-trigger and flood-the-room kind of weapon.

The indignant scorn of the weapon by so many characters was not just hypocritical, but humorous in its absurdity. That weapon is popular, at least they got that right. But, if you figure out how many are in circulation versus how many are actually misused (used illegally), their self-righteous indignation becomes humorous.

Then, let’s look at other episodes this same season, such as when Green Arrow fires an arrow into a guy’s revolver. That episode made all concealed carry gun owners look like panicky idiots. Nobody could see a thing. Nobody would have been firing like that. The writers were taking cheap one-sided shots through the season, just not as blatant as Ep 13.

Add those two episodes together, there was no real, honest, attempt to do anything balanced or all-sided.

Now, let’s examine the characters: blatant vigilantes. We aren’t talking about someone going out and waiting to find a citizen being assaulted. These characters routinely go out and beat the crap out of various “bad guys” at will. The audience knows they can’t make a mistake there, so it’s easy to root for them…but if you want to bring real-life into it, they aren’t just defending other people or themselves. They’re proactively committing felonies each night. Talk about hypocritical when it comes to the average citizen using a firearm. Let’s see, two team members use firearms, one (or two depending on the episode) use arrows (which can kill quite effectively), others use blunt weapons and beat their quarry down. And last I checked, people routinely die in fist-fights, which are far more dangerous than Hollyweird would have you believe.

I ignore the BS tech stuff like Felicity does on an episodic basis…it’s all part of the fantasy of the show and stays internally consistent. I ignore the BS arrows that GA uses, as that’s also part of the fantasy and is true to the origins behind the show. I (most of the time) love the Diggle character as he tries to keep GA honest. I like the deputy mayor as I’ve always been a fan of the actor’s other show The Dresden Files. But this episode almost cost them my viewership. It was a hatchet job.

Oh, one more thing. Compromise means that BOTH sides win. When it comes to enacting gun control, the gun rights side wins NOTHING when such legislation is enacted (no matter how coy and vague the writers treated things at the end). That means it was not a compromise but a retreat on the gun rights side.

June 13, 2017 #18 Author

So hard to decide — I could pick any episode from the first nine because they were all sub-par.. So much time spent setting up characters I still don’t care about (Rene, Curtis, Evelyn, Susan), too many multiple characters fights in darkness that all blended into each other, and too little spent on Diggle, Felicity, Thea and Quentin. Bad writing to prop the new characters where suddenly it doesn’t occur to Lyla, Oliver, Felicity, Thea Quentin or even Curtis that Diggle might want to celebrate JJ’s so that Rene can be the one to figure it out.

I picked Invasion. Hyped as a love letter to the fans and a love letter to the fans of the comic books not fans of the show. An episode about Laurel, Sara, and Ray and Oliver’s life with them with barely any Diggle or Felicity and no Roy at all. A big disappointment, and it didn’t even make sense since Oliver was cheating on on Laurel for years. How low is her self-respect that she hangs around waiting ten years and one illegitimate child for him?

• Nyssa

June 14, 2017 #19 Author

Well Laurel and Sara are characters from the show too and have fans. The episode was about Oliver’s life, if he’s never cheated on Laurel and never went on a boat trip, it was about his family, mother, father, sister. Diggle and Felicity are people he would have never met, if he had never become the Arrow. Besides Diggle and Felicity are the most boring characters of the show these days anyway, and I can’t comprehend how Oliver has no self respect to still wait for Felicity after she left him, moved on with someone else, never gave him chance to talk. The whole – ‘I love you, but I can’t be with you’ – is a whole new level of manipulation. Demanding your partner to change for you is not right, you either accept or move on. No one is perfect, so no one has the right to demand the other to be perfect.

• Melissa

June 20, 2017 #20 Author

Just wanted to point out that Felicity DID move on. That was why she was dating Billy. Even if she and Oliver were able to get past their issues later on, she wasn’t just sitting there waiting for Oliver to get his act together. She decided that she could not accept Oliver as he was, which is why she moved on. And as for the “I love you but can’t be with you” thing being a whole new level of manipulation, may I point to Oliver and the entirety of season three? Don’t recall him giving her a say in the matter then either. They BOTH had to grow.

June 22, 2017 #21 Author

No, the alien world was about what if Oliver had not got on the Gambit. In this world Oliver had still cheated on Laurel, we’re told in Laurel’s conversation with Sara and implied in Robert’s with Oliver. Oliver then spent 10 years learning not to cheat on Laurel and finally wanting to marry her.
        Oliver spent two seasons, seasons 2 and 3, telling Felicity ‘I love you, but I can’t be with you because I can’t be with someone I really care about’ .
        Felicity spent 3/4s of a season telling Oliver ‘I love you, but I can’t be with you because you lie to me and shut me out of what should be joint decisions.’
        I don’t think either is overtly manipulative (unlike Laurel’s three year plan on how to get Oliver to marry her that we saw in the s2 flashback) but I do think the latter is more mature than the former.

June 14, 2017 #22 Author

I don’t really think that Invasion! was a love letter to the fans of the comic books; if it was, Roy would have been there, Laurel would have been the Black Canary, and all that. I do think it was more of a tribute to the show’s origins – back when Moira, and Robert, and, yes, Laurel were still there. Do wish Walter had shown up, even if he obviously wouldn’t have been Moira’s husband.

• Melissa

June 20, 2017 #23 Author

But what I don’t get is why we should be celebrating in the 100th episode, pretty much only the first season origins. It felt like a love letter to ONLY certain fans. I didn’t hate it for what it was, but was hugely disappointed in what it could have been. No. Make that what it SHOULD have been. Still, I thought Spectre of the Gun was by far the worst episode, lol.

June 22, 2017 #24 Author

I”m assuming that Roy wasn’t there because of Colton Haynes issues.

Andrew Kreisburg said that on the Fatman podcast December 2015 that ” [Arrow] wasn’t Arrow until… the episode where [Felicity Smoak] kinda found out. Like from that point on it feels much more like the show.” So if they were going to honor Arrow’s previous 99 episodes, why throw out the thing that made it the show that it is?

This episode feel like what the show might have been if Katie Cassidy had worked out as both the fighting Black Canary (Caity Lotz and Juliana Harkavy are both showing what that should have looked like) and as a love interest for Stephen Amell. This episode is what the show that Berlanti, Kreisburg and Guggenheim originally had in mind looked like. In those terms, Maybe it was a love letter to themselves more than anyone else.

For fans of the TV show who got into it because of the Team of Oliver/Diggle/Felicity and Oliver’s growth through that, 108/Invasion was a big disappointment. Diggle was barely in it and Felicity was an airhead in both worlds, the alien one where she spun like a brainless top at the party and the real world where she laughed off Oliver and the others being captured by aliens, something she never would have done on any other episode.
        And was it really so good for Laurel fans to give her Felicity’s s4 dialogue about already giving Oliver’s her answer to his proposal and then being left behind again because he realized again they are not a good match?

• Helena

June 14, 2017 #25 Author

I hate the ‘Who are you’ episode, it was boring and disconnected. For people who do not watch Flash, the Black Siren character made no sense. Besides seeing evil Laurel and Felicity bickering over Oliver was cringe worthy. And the whole Felicity’s jealousy that Oliver wants to save evil Laurel’s soul was even more cringe worthy.

June 14, 2017 #26 Author

I agree that it’s a valid concern that the “big moments” in what happens to Arrow should stay on Arrow. I understand how that could have been confusing.

• 2310

June 16, 2017 #27 Author

I agree with you with the black siren character but I absolutely did not see any jealousy from felicity and she was the only one in my pov that could see through all the deception from siren

• Billie

June 16, 2017 #28 Author

Yeah, I didn’t get a jealousy vibe from Felicity at all. She saw through Siren and was frustrated that Oliver was getting distracted from the Promethous mission. It was Siren who was trying to wind her up about Oliver, bizarrely by bringing up Oliver’s penchant for sisters, which isn’t an issue for Oliver and Felicity but rather an unnecessary jab at Earth1 Laurel. They weren’t bickering over Oliver so much as Felicity was setting her up for her ‘escape’.

• Melissa

June 20, 2017 #29 Author

Yeah, agreed. Felicity was upset that Oliver was letting BS’s appearance compromise his judgment about a proven bad guy. It wasn’t jealousy but concern that Oliver was letting himself be played. Given BS’s powers, I still don’t buy that Chase was ever a real threat to her life. Not once he let her out of her cage. Plus, we saw in episode how two faced she was, playing a part for Oliver but dropping the pretense for Felicity. If anyone was jealous it was BS over Felicity.

• Delaney

June 24, 2017 #30 Author

LOL no jealousy when she literally ordered the peons to murder Siren when Oliver was meeting with her, going over Oliver’s head in the process. Sure, Jan.

• Billie

June 14, 2017 #31 Author

It’s gotta be 5×13. An episode about gun control has no place in a show that routinely glorifies violence and didn’t even give the character who was literally paralyzed by gun violence an opinion on it. Not to mention that the conclusion of the episode was some mythical legislation that they didn’t even bother to explain. A totally inappropriate cop out episode that made the show look hypocritical and tone deaf.

• Melissa

June 20, 2017 #32 Author

On top of all that we got to find out that after Zoe’s mother was murdered, her dad, Rene, just let her be dumped into the system so she lost her father as well. He wouldn’t even go for a visit! And while he wasn’t willing to get his act together and stop drinking for her, he was perfectly capable cleaning up so he could keep busting heads together on the street. So the episode that was clearly supposed to make me more sympathetic toward Rene, had the opposite effect and he went from just annoying to someone really atrociously selfish and weak. He has no business being on the team. His first loyalty should be to his daughter.

• Arrowette

June 14, 2017 #33 Author

Easily the 100th episode aka, 5.08. Actually, after this episode I rage quit this show for awhile. I will never ever forgive EPs for this episode. They disgrace my favorites and insult my viewership. #TheNorthRemembers Second least favorite that with gun debate, but more because Wild Dog was in center, whom I can not stand. He is just unlikable as character. To enjoy the stories, I need to like the characters, and season 5 as the whole was a miss for me, because way to much focus on characters I do not like nor care.

• Bj Lewis

June 14, 2017 #34 Author

Pretty much any Evelyn episode post heel turn. Which I guess there were only a few.
    Minus the finale (because that was amazing)

• Ariane

June 14, 2017 #35 Author

5×08 was disappointing. It didn’t feel like a love letter at all. I expected so much more from that episode.

• Justin

June 15, 2017 #36 Author

Season 5 was so good, that it’s hard to pinpoint an episode that was bad. There were certainly ones that ‘weren’t as good’ as others, and I guess that’s what I have to go with.

My choices are between “Spectre of the Gun”, “The Sin Eater”, and “Underneath”. “Spectre of the Gun” was simply an episode to address a subject, and for better or worse there wasn’t a real message due to the episode tackling both sides of an argument. “The Sin Eater” surprisingly did make some sort of plot progression, but faltered in the A-plot with pointless character returns (I like all the characters, but their sudden return seemed forced). “Underneath” was a Bottle Episode, and a nifty experiment that was necessarily to fund the season finale of the show – but didn’t have a whole lot to it.

My choice is going to be “The Sin Eater”. It was ultimately the most ‘filler-like’ of any of the episodes. “Spectre of the Gun”, at least (this is minor), gave us some reason to get behind Wild Dog…and “Underneath” did progress the plot/answered the random question as to why the Green Arrow is wearing sleeves suddenly.

• Lyla

June 21, 2017 #37 Author

Truthfully, most of the first 7 episodes qualify for ”the worst” in my book simply because I was bored. And IMO that is probably the worst thing to happen with a TV show I consider a favorite. Except ”Human Target” was sort of fun. I’m surprised to see a lot of people naming ”Invasion!” on this site. I guess the ”audience” here has diversified. Admittedly, Laurel Lance is one of my least favorite characters on TV in general, so, it’d make sense for me to agree, but I try to be somewhat objective and honestly ”Invasion!” was directed and acted really well. I could tell everybody brought their A game. It was also interesting which cannot be said about many other S5 episodes. I also understand bringing in Laurel, of course, she deserved a role in this milestone. I do NOT, however, support the glorification of the Oliver/Laurel relationship. Basically, the center of this episode was the ”Lauriver” wedding theme. Like…. WHAT? There is a reason they dropped that r-ship after season 1. And ALIENS???????? Yeah, so, thematically, I was disappointed in Invasion! In the end though I voted The Sin-Eater, because when checking all the episodes I realized I had forgotten about how annoying and pointless it was. Ha!

• Malcolm

June 24, 2017 #38 Author

I chose episode 14 due to the fact you get the annoying Cupid, overrated China White, and stupid Girl Cop, and all they due is try and steal money. So cringe. I wouldn’t mind voting for the finale becaus they killed off Malcolm, my all time favorite character of Arrow.