Arrow Producers Have An Idea For Katie Cassidy’s Return Arrow Producers Have An Idea For Katie Cassidy’s Return
Will we see Katie Cassidy again before the end of Arrow Season 5? We asked Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim. Arrow Producers Have An Idea For Katie Cassidy’s Return

After the return of Katie Cassidy as at least a version of Laurel Lance in the Arrow midseason premiere, and the introduction of a new Black Canary to the series, many have wondered if and even when Cassidy would be returning to The CW show again.

During a press Q&A held this morning, we asked Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim if we will be seeing Katie again in any form by the end of Arrow Season 5.

“We have an idea for how to see her again, but we haven’t made a deal with her yet,” he revealed. “She’s not a series regular anymore, so we have to make a contract with her and she’s got to be available, and we haven’t had those conversations [yet]. But we do have an idea. We know exactly what we do want to do,” he said.

As to what? It doesn’t seem that Katie nor her management have been pitched as of yet, but fans of Katie Cassidy should be heartened to know there are plans… it all just comes down to availability.

• Beto

February 13, 2017 #1 Author

Um, what the heck? So last July’s news about being a series regular across all 4 shows and reported by multiple sites, including Green Arrow TV, wasn’t true?

February 13, 2017 #2 Author

Great question. I’m confused too. The announcement WAS made at Comic-Con though, in front of thousands of people. Maybe the “contract” was for only a limited number of episodes?

• Tony

February 13, 2017 #3 Author

Honestly, I recall last year the big hype about who was in the grave revealed that the person that was in the grave was going to stay dead and not resurrect. Well I guess that wasn’t true.

• Luke

February 13, 2017 #4 Author

Something tells me Guggenheim did not expect such a negative backlash to her death because he never listened to any fans other than Olicity shippers, which is why he said she’d stay dead. Once he and WB saw how the ratings suffered when she died, WB probably pressured him to bring her back in some way, shape or form.

• Lyla

February 14, 2017 #5 Author

Seems true to me as Laurel Lance is, in fact, still dead. And since this show has wasted no time to get a new girl to play BC, seems pretty obvious LL has no place on this show anymore.

• William Roderick

February 13, 2017 #6 Author

Very confused as well, maybe just 5 Arrow episodes then 5 Legends and Flash, I don’t know sounds like her Arrow contract may be up though.

• Delaney

February 13, 2017 #7 Author

When are people gonna stop believing a word those people say about Laurel? They’ve lied blatantly and repeatedly. She’s been setting up house w/her BF for like two months now so it’s not like she couldn’t have been filming that Legends storyline Marc was supposedly sooooo excited about.

I can’t speak for all of the LL/KC fan base but none of the ones I know want want her back in that hateful environment irl or the show.

• Lyla

February 14, 2017 #8 Author

What exactly did people think ”regular across 4 shows” meant? That KC was gonna be on those ”minimum 13 eps” on ALL those shows in ONE season?? Because by the traditional ”series regular ” logic that’d be the case. Impossible. As we can see from Wentworth Miller and John Barrowman that isn’t the deal either. Those of us who weren’t blinded by how fancy the deal sounds already figured out it means those people with that deal CAN appear on all those shows IF needed by the storyline, not that they WILL appear. Those rare times Cassidy has appeared after her death are obviously fan service for the comic book fans (which is ok, since TV IS actually for fans), but I don’t know if her future Arrowverse seems promising since there’s already a new bird in town. A job is a job and each actor is happy to be working, so I can’t really blame Katie for coming back, but seriously – they brutally replaced her. She should stay away after all that, Except maybe if there’s an interesting story for her on Legends – I mean for an episode or so.

• Emerson Ray

February 13, 2017 #9 Author

I swear if Marc Guggenheim is lying to us again…he better realize killing Laurel is what tanked his ratings and I expect to see Dinah Laurel Lance’s return as the Black Canary by the end of s5 or the s6 premiere. If he cares at all about saving his trash show, or even good storytelling, he has to realize by now that killing Laurel was the biggest mistake the show made.

• Melissa

February 16, 2017 #10 Author

I keep reading people claiming that Laurel’s death is what tanked the ratings but the ratings fell off the cliff after 5×15, not after her episode and general viewers that don’t check fan sites wouldn’t have known she was going to die ahead of time.

• roses

February 13, 2017 #11 Author

I hope she says no
    Tell guggie to take a flying leap off of a tall building into his lies.

• Luke

February 13, 2017 #12 Author

For real, if I where her I’d tell Guggenheim to shove it and enjoy the crappy ratings.

• Lyla

February 14, 2017 #13 Author

What exactly has Guggenheim lied about? He said like a million times that whomever dies will stay dead. That is still the case. Then they made the ”regular across 4 shows” deal w Katie, but they also stated she would possibly appear in 3 forms : As Black Siren (has happened), in flashbacks (has happened ) and in some other time/timeline (happened in the 100th). They were always clear that the LL from this Arrow timeline will stay dead. And I don’t know about u, but as far as I know, the public was never shown the contract, so, where’s the lie? I get it – u don’t like the decision, that happens when shows have passionate fans. Wentworth Miller has a similar deal and he’s appeared even less, so, this isn’t some Guggenheim’s conspiracy against u, it’s the god damn contract. The truth is many Laurel fans hear what they want to hear instead of listening to what is actually being said.

• Delaney

February 14, 2017 #14 Author

Literally everything. He’s promised storylines that never happened. He changed the rules of Arrow verse at every turn to screw Laurel over. She had to earn the mask while everyone else was handed it. No meta powers on Arrow… well, until we can give them to our third Dinah/Black Canary.

Laurel haters obviously see things they want to see and not as they are. But of course you’d defend Marc. He’s only been catering to y’all since day one.

• Lyla

February 15, 2017 #15 Author

”Laurel haters obviously see things they want to see and not as they are.” Erm, not true. Clearly, it’s YOU who only sees everything in black and white. It’s true that there are some hardcore ”olicity” fans as well that hate on Laurel for the sake of it, but they’re in minority. I personally just like to watch good TV and because I don’t care about comics at all, I can evaluate what I see without entitled expectations. And what I saw on TV was wonderful chemistry between Oliver and Felicity, so, I started rooting for them. And the Laurel character was mostly angry, bitter or entitled. But the truth is , as Felicity slowly became the female lead, they didn’t write her that great either. I truly didn’t like her in the 2nd half of S4 at all. And frankly, this season I don’t like Oliver. My favorite character this season is Thea. I was incredibly annoyed by that Dog, but they’re improving him rapidly. There’s no conspiracy, dude (or girl), not everyone is set in their obsessive theories ( for example, how everything is done to ” to screw Laurel over”. What happens on TV shows is they succeed with some characters and others never find their footing. I’m sure you’re not dumb enough to say the writers WANTED to fail their leading actress, right? I hear she’s great in comics — didn’t turn out that way on TV. And what storylines did Mr Guggenheim promise to u? The only thing I know he said he’d do more regarding your fave is give her more lawyer stuff. But in a later ign interview he explained that those scenes are usually quite expensive and the writers don’t think the legal drama stuff fits in Arrow anymore. Here’s ur answer. And what goes for Dinah – yeah, I think that’s huge disrespect to Katie Cassidy. But from what I understand it’s not the writers, so, u can’t blame Guggenheim for that one. When they killed Laurel, they even put ”Black Canary” on her grave. They didn’t mean to replace her, the order to do that comer from the higher ups. If you’re that bitter maybe it’s time to return to comics, or maybe Flash which I hear is very comic-like. 🙂

• Marie

February 13, 2017 #16 Author

The show is much better without her. She was way better as the Black Siren then she ever was as the Black Canary. I liked her on Supernatural, but she never meshed well on Arrow.

• Jonathan

February 13, 2017 #17 Author

I actually agree that she is much better as Black Siren. That is the kind of character she has always excelled at playing. E-1 Laurel was, put simply, a rug for just about everyone. She had a great journey as far as what she went through, yeah, but its pretty obvious from not only how people complain about the flashbacks but also the acceptance of both Sara and Dinah as Canaries that the average Arrowverse viewer doesn’t give a damn about the journey, just the result, and it took them to damn long to bring Laurel to be the Black Canary.

Maybe if they’d let KC do the same attitude as Black Siren and all her other work, she might have meshed better on Arrow. But they didn’t. So she’s better off playing her E-2 villainous Laurel.

• Aaron

February 13, 2017 #18 Author

They just werent interested in writing her that well. When they gave her decent lines/storylines she was GREAT and meshed perfectly. She was the highlight of Season 3 and 4.

• Rob

February 14, 2017 #19 Author

Why would anyone not be interested in writing as well as they can for every character? You may not like the results, but why would they shoot themselves in the foot intentionally?

I don’t think Katie meshed that well with everyone. A few players like Blackthorne, but not Amell.

• Lyla

February 14, 2017 #20 Author

Exactly. But I personally think the writers didn’t consider how important the Black Canary character is to a lot of fans and sort of got it wrong with the ”premise” of Laurel – her characteristics and her and Oliver’s backstory. Thing is after Oliver had slept with Sara, theoretically Laurel had all the rights in the world to be angry when he came back. But what happened in reality was, the viewer was introduced to an angry and bitter female lead who was constantly bitchy towards the charming protagonist whom the average viewer saw as the victim. The character wasn’t likable. Laurel Lance as a character had 3 main arcs. 1) Being a Lawyer – And in the beginning her lawyer’ing sort of meshed well with what the show was doing in the 1st season. Problem is, Guggenheim admitted the writers of this show never liked writing the court scenes, saying he thought Arrow should stay away from the ”leg drama ” format. And with that,Laurel’s first purpose was mostly dropped (screen-time wise). 2) Her relationship with Oliver. Oh my GOD what a monumental fu*kup from the writers. It was heavy from the get-go. It was angry. There was Tommy, there was Sara. And to top it all off, looking at those actors, it seemed impossible to believe there was real love there. And even though I personally think it was more Amell’s fault than Cassidy’s (the dude was like wood when around her), he is the lead, so, it was KC who was dropped as a love interest as well. 3) Black Canary. The Sara character doomed that one. Everybody grew to love Sara instantly. She was raw, real, sexy and not to mention bisexual. A tough fighter, besides Lotz fighting is graceful – something Cassidy never achieved. So, when the time came for Katie to suit up, she had a beloved ‘’canary’s’’ shoes to fill – something she never quite managed. Overall though … I think ultimately Cassidy’s fate was sealed with the nonexistent chemistry with Amell. So, as soon as they could they wrote her out.

• Rob

February 14, 2017 #21 Author

– I think many comic fans care more about “canon” than chemistry.
            – Interesting that you bring up Tommy. I felt Katie and Colin had good natural chemistry. As often happens in shows with romance, the chemistry that’s discovered can be more compelling than the romance that writers set out to write.
            – Caity Lotz is amazing at martial arts, so her fight scenes really work. You can see the actor doing the work. Katie was never nearly that good, which didn’t help. Caity has years of practice over Katie.
            – I like Katie and think she has her strengths, but I think the writers tried to make it work. It didn’t but it wasn’t due to lack of effort or because of Olicity shippers.

• Aaron

February 13, 2017 #22 Author

Thank you for making sure to always ask about Katie.

I guess her series regular contract between all shows was a lie which sucks. I want her to say no since they screw her over but then I dont love myself and I want to see her as much as possible so I hope we see her show up again and more often.

• Carla

February 14, 2017 #23 Author

We never did know what “regular across all shows” meant. When you’re a regular on one show, it’s a minimum of 13 episodes, but this is all new TV territory because there’s never been a TV universe of multiple shows like this.

February 14, 2017 #24 Author

The ratings didn’t suffer after she died. They actually went up a bit after 4×18.

The ratings really suffered after 4×15. 4×16 came back with 600k less people watching. Before talking about ratings, people should do their research first. Especially since it’s so easy to find.

February 14, 2017 #25 Author

I don’t think ratings have much if anything to do with ships. Sometimes they change for totally arbitrary reasons. Almost all of The CW is down, and I don’t think that can be related to the end of Olicity or the death of Laurel. It just is what it is, and we don’t know how much they change, ultimately, when DVR and other stuff is factored in.

• 2310

February 14, 2017 #26 Author

I am not a fan of laurel lance but they never wrote laurel good, they destroyed her character in the first 2 season, and the first half of season 5 they started to do the same with felicity, john and thea, they were suddenly fillers and in the background because of all the new characters… oliver is not enough for me to watch arrow they need the old ones to and suddenly we have a new canary named Dinah who in the comics are laurel´s mother what the h… why not keep laurel then???

• Rob

February 14, 2017 #27 Author

In the comics, Dinah was Laurel’s mother because of a retcon.

I don’t think they destroyed John or Felicity this year at all. Neither of them are fillers. Thea may be absent for a few episodes but I’ve been enjoying her story this season quite a bit.

• Bj Lewis

February 14, 2017 #28 Author

She probably comes back in an obligatory passing of the torch story with Dinah, where shortly after Dinah becomes Black Canary proper, Black Siren comes back, they fight, have a cry-off and Dinah triumphs and Siren is gone again.

Kinda like the Vertigo episode with Laurel beating Sara. (That never sat well with me but I am an unapologetic lover of the Sara Canary).

• Delaney

February 14, 2017 #29 Author

What torch is there to pass? They’ve literally handed the other one everything they denied Laurel because supposedly didn’t work in their universe and they only needed Oliver to do it by having him declare her the best thing since him.

• Ray F

February 14, 2017 #30 Author

As a long time Green Arrow/Black Canary fan I never felt Katie worked in the role and I didn’t get the feeling she was overly comfortable with it either.
    I’m lucky to know several of the producers and had the chance to meet much of the cast including Katie. She was very sweet but also very shy. They tried to make it work but it just didn’t…always felt forced.
    The new Canary, Dinah Drake (The original identity of the BC) seems to be really good casting. She literally looks like Neal Adams version of BC! I assume they’ll go back to the wig (Which BC wore for years but didn’t really work over blond hair).
    Looking forward to seeing the character develop.

• Strong_Is_Beautiful

February 15, 2017 #31 Author

I don’t give a rats ass what Guggenschlub says. I dumped this show on April 6, 2016 along with The Flash, Supergirl, Legends, Gotham, Blindspot, Lucifer, Preacher, basically any show that was in any way associated with Berlanti Productions or DC Entertainment, and I won’t be tuning in again to any of them until Katie Cassidy/Laurel Lance/Black Canary is back on the show permanently.

• Daniel Benjamin

February 19, 2017 #32 Author

My theory is her sister and the Spear of destiny will bring her back