2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: The Results Are In! 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: The Results Are In!
Results of the 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards honoring the best and not-so-best of Arrow Season 5 2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: The Results Are In!

It’s that time of year again to announce the winners of the annual GreenArrowTV Awards, honoring the best and not-so-best of Arrow Season 5.

Season 5 of Arrow might have inspired many of the most mixed responses — many considered the season to be a “return to form” for the series; others were waiting for certain characters to start interacting again. Our summer roundtable is a good example of those varied opinions; the results in this year’s Awards also reflect that.

Voting is, as always, by the fans, picking their favorites or least favorites. Voting is limited to one vote per IP, so to our knowledge that keeps the Awards from being “fixed,” and every winner is won fair and square. Sometimes it’s because a fan base cares enough to mobilize the vote – but as far as we are aware and are concerned, the results are always accurate.

So what did people like? What did people dislike? Let’s get started!

Next page

• callistawolf

September 18, 2017 #1 Author

I’m outraged that Spectre of the Gun was only third place. I thought that one was awful!

• Lizzie

September 18, 2017 #2 Author

Same. That has to be the worst episode of any show I’ve ever seen. I’m astounded it was even allowed to be filmed.

• Gale Peacock

September 18, 2017 #3 Author

Just you wait for next year’s BLM episode! Got a feeling that one will be a shoo-in.

• 134sc

September 20, 2017 #4 Author

I didnt think it was good episide either but I know well respected podcasts that absolutely loved that episode; calling it a return to form for the show.

ARROW like Smallville before it is so devisive within the fanbase. Personally as a fan that generally just rolls with it, the divisivness can become grating.

• Lizzie

September 18, 2017 #5 Author

lol I had a feeling Underneath would win both best and worst episode. It was a really solid interesting character episode but you either love or hate Olicity! So that was always the way it’d work out.

And I actually voted for Susan Williams as worst character not because she came between Olicity, let’s face it, she didn’t at all. But because she started out with such potential and then went absolutely nowhere. And the EP’s tried to suggest she was a good person but that just didn’t come across on screen. I thought we’d get this really interesting slightly vindictive journalist who’d do anything for a story and it just fizzled out into nothing. I also hated how her presence affected Thea, too. I actually like Carly Pope a lot, ever since Popular. So I kinda begrudge this idea that everything is about Olicity to be honest.

Happy that Josh won best villain. I also voted for him as best male because he saved the season for me. He was amazing!

• callistawolf

September 18, 2017 #6 Author

100% agree about Susan Williams. I didn’t feel she was any sort of ship threat, but her character went nowhere. We were supposed to care that Prometheus took her but she’d acted so shady for half the season that I wasn’t ever sure she was a “good guy” or not! Her character was just very uneven, and that’s why she was my least favorite. I cheered every time Thea took her down and couldn’t help but think she shouldn’t have had to apologize for it. LOL!

Josh was far and away the best villain. He did a fantastic job as Adrian Chase/Prometheus. That last run of episodes from 5×16-5×23 were some of Arrow’s best yet!

September 18, 2017 #7 Author

And see, despite another commenter piling on as continued proof of whatever “bias” I have, I’m looking at it from a non-shipper’s perspective: Except for the tying Oliver to Russia thing, Susan served no real purpose to me – a non-shipper – beyond “getting in the way of Olicity.” With no offense to Tyler Ritter, I felt the same about Billy until they did what they did with him. If someone’s going to get in the way, let them be an actual threat with ideally beyond-the-charts chemistry. I don’t know. That’s why I wrote what I did. I think I even voted for her as Least Favorite, lol, because the shipping stuff is not really my jam and people who get in the way and cause more drama make it worse, ALWAYS.

(Happy Olicity? I’m down. Dramatic? MEH. See our early roundtables, you’ll see I was an early pusher for it BECAUSE it was happy.)

I do think and can’t be convinced otherwise that Susan was voted Worst Character by a lot of Olicity fans, though, as it seemed that almost every category was to go the Olicity fans’ way. To pretend that there wasn’t a concerted effort to rally behind certain things – not that there’s anything wrong with that – would be very naive, in my opinion. Not suggesting ALL fans did, but some, of course!

(And it would’ve been the same if fans of another character/ship/situation all rallied, i.e. the Reddit crowd. It’d still be a fair and square win, because if something has that much passion it must be popular. I’m just saying.)

• Lizzie

September 18, 2017 #8 Author

I didn’t say a word about bias! I just disagreed with the idea that Olicity had anything to do with her winning. Sorry but she was not a good character at all and ended up adding nothing to the show or the season, and that’s why I voted for her. And let’s just put this out there. So what if she did win because people didn’t like her getting between Olicity? So what? If that’s what people want to vote, who cares?

And I’m sure there was concerted efforts to make sure people’s favourites won. Like I’m sure Laurel fans made an effort to make sure won best guest star. Or Felicity haters tried to make sure she won worst character or whatever. But as you said, nothing wrong with that, is there?

September 18, 2017 #9 Author

Nothing wrong with it at all! And no, you didn’t say a word about bias – sorry if there was any misunderstanding there, I was referring to another commenter. I really tried hard this year to be careful with my words but it still bit me 🙁

I agree with you completely re: Susan so we’re fine!

• Txblkhrt

September 19, 2017 #10 Author

I totally agree! I voted for her because the whole arc was so not Oliver. She screwed Thea and tried to expose Oliver’s secret and Oliver goes to her as a confidant. It was so out of character for Oliver.

September 18, 2017 #11 Author

I think it’s pretty clear that the Olicity fans has been dominating the GATV awards for years now. At least that’s the prevailing opinion on most non-oliciter fan spaces and forums.. It’s also quite obvious if you look at many poll results, e.g. Felicity Smoak’s and Emily Bett-Rickards’ annual landslide wins in the “Best female character” and “Best Female Actor” categories, as well as in many other categories (few non-Olicity shippers would regard “Underneath” as the season’s best episode!). And it’s a 100% sure that the Olicity fans dominate in the GATV comment sections!. However, as you said, they won fair and square, and it doesn’t really matter if most non-oliciter fans don’t agree with many of the final choices….they should have gotten off their butts and voted if they wanted to make their voices heard!

September 18, 2017 #12 Author

I don’t think you had to be an Olicity shipper to dislike Susan William — as you said, she was pretty much pointless. I think that she was meant to show Playboy Oliver again, sleeping with attractive women. And she was meant to be a threat to him because she might expose his identity. And she was someone who could be kidnapped and have Oliver frantic to find her but not so close to him that it would really affect him like Thea would. But in the end the writing failed her; not only did Oliver look like an idiot to be dating and giving secrets to a reporter who came in determined to expose him but it never made any sense for him to date her since she hurt Thea in the first episode she appeared in and if he wanted a confidante, there was Diggle, Quentin, Thea, Curtis, Rene, and Rory to talk to., all of whom were more trustworthy than Susan.
        I think you get so many pro-Olicity people here because it’s a safe place to comment, unlike Reddit which is a hotbed of misogyny and people who appear to watch an alternate version that plays in their heads and not what’s on the TV screen.

September 19, 2017 #13 Author

My bad! I was jumping into the conversation at the wrong place. My comment didn’t really concern Susan Williams, but the GATV awards in general.. I see your points, but I personally wasn’t bothered with Susan’s storyline or her behavior. If there was thing that bothered me about both Susan Williams and “blink and you’ll miss me” Detective Malone was that they were SO obviously stalling devices for the inevitable Oliver/Felicity reunion (rather than interesting characters in their own right). The writers’ tendency to saddle Felicity with temporary boyfriends who we all know will be dispensed with towards the end of the season is IMHO just another sign that they pretty much suck at writing a credible and engaging romance.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s only Susan William’s getting the “worst character” award that makes the pro-Olicity slant in the GATV awards so noticeable. Emily has been winning the “best female actor” award for several consecutive years now, even when she was up against such accomplished actresses as Susanna Thompson, and I cannot think of any non.oliciter fans who would put EBR above Susanna when it comes to talent and action chops. The fact that both Felicity and EBR have such landslide wins, in both the “best character” and “best actress” category, is a testament to the character’s/actor’s popularity and high status in the Olicity fandom. Furthermore, the choices of ”best action sequence” and ”best interaction” categories are clearly reflective of Oliciter preferences….my impression is that the results in these categories would have been different if fans with other preferences had been more active in these award polls. However, as I said, these polls are fair and honest, so it’s not like anyone cheated…..the Olicity fans just happened to turn out in larger numbers, as they usually do when it comes to the GATV awards.

September 19, 2017 #14 Author

….”action chops” should be “acting chops”!

• Billie

September 19, 2017 #15 Author

“the Olicity fans just happened to turn out in larger numbers, as they usually do when it comes to the GATV awards.”

I think it’s also that there are an awful lot of them.

September 19, 2017 #16 Author

I agree that Susanna Thompson is a more skilled actress than EBR but a lot of people didn’t like Moira. When people vote for Best Actress, they tend to vote for someone who plays a character they like rather than a character they don’t. (The Emmys are an exception because it is peer-voted and based on talent. Ann Dowd wouldn’t have won Best Supporting Actress if the fandom were voting.)
            I think Susan Williams deserves Worst Character because she had so much screentime and yet was so pointless in the end. They teased that she was going to out Oliver as the Green Arrow, she told him she would have done if it Thea hadn’t stopped her, and yet we’re still supposed to believe that Oliver was falling for this woman and preferred her advice and sympathy over that from Thea, Diggle, and the rest of his Team.. She had a private investigator track him in Russia, there were significant cuts to Russian vodka in her apartment and in the end it all came to nothing. It was time that could have been better spent on more interesting and useful characters.
            Even without stalling Olicity, Malone had two major functions: to have a liaison on the police force now that Quentin is in the deputy mayor’s office; and to give someone that Oliver could kill who was connected to the fans and who they would feel bad about, as opposed to a random red shirt, but who would not cost the show any character that it wanted to keep (e.g. Thea, Wild Dog, Mr. Terrific, Evelyn)..

• NocturnalRites

October 6, 2017 #17 Author

I’m not an Olicity shipper by any means and I disliked Susan Williams. She was a very two-dimensional, poorly written character, and the type of journalist I despise in real life. When you’re causing riots and risking innocent lives for your ratings, you *deserve* to be voted Worst Character.

• NocturnalRites

October 6, 2017 #18 Author

Oh, and I LOVED Moira. Yeah, she was completely and totally a Matriarch archetype, but Thompson’s a terrific actress and nailed Moira’s motivations so well. Her virtues became her vices — which is precisely how the best of villains come to be.

October 6, 2017 #19 Author

Susanna Thompson was wonderful.

September 18, 2017 #20 Author

Also regarding Josh: What’s funny for me is I didn’t care for Adrian much in the early days. I’m just “meh, another D.A., he’s kind of annoying,” whatever. But then once the reveal came and we saw how cruel he could play it… I’m so grateful that the casting gods saw that coming. He really elevated the material and created a legitimate menace. Totally agree with you on your props for him.

• Billie

September 20, 2017 #21 Author

For me, this is why the season only really got going once they revealed Chase was Prometheous. I wish they’d done it sooner, because while the last eight episodes were brilliant, the previous fifteen were eminently forgettable, almost stalling to get to the good stuff.

• eve

September 18, 2017 #22 Author

All the editorializing commentary to these results is really unnecessary. Yet again painting shippers as a brainless mob, able to judge storylines and characters only in relation to their ship and based on whether or not they’re “in the way”.

September 18, 2017 #23 Author

All the piling on by people who have never commented on the site before is also unnecessary. I made a conscious effort to be as unbiased as possible and you still found nonsense to pile on to.

New policy: If you’ve never commented before and are only here to bash the site, don’t bother.

September 18, 2017 #24 Author

FYI to the commenter “Lexi” who keeps trying to post in this thread – you are not welcome to post here nor are you ever welcome to post here. Your IP was blacklisted the last time you showed up to rudely interject. It’s not censorship; it’s called “don’t be disrespectful.”

• PallJ

September 18, 2017 #25 Author

Er… I voted for Susan because she’s just a bad character. Not because she was in between my ship. I kind of feel insulted that one would reduce my thoughts to just irrational shipper stuff.

Susan: She made me really dislike Oliver as a person because she made him so unbelievably stupid. She was weirdly dropped in the middle of the season with barely a resolution, and had no purpose on the show. She subtracted to Arrow and didn’t add.

If it was for a ship I’d have hated Billy but I don’t. He was just a boring plot device. The only thing I felt about him was indifference.

I was hoping you’d think that shippers have real thoughts and valid opinions but maybe you don’t? IDK. I’m just disappointed :/ Anyways – hope you have a good week

September 18, 2017 #26 Author

At no point did I ever suggest that shippers don’t have real thoughts or valid opinions. PallJ, you recently said that I was prescribing thoughts/words to people that are unsaid, and that’s the exact same thing you’re doing to me right there.

Don’t want you to be disappointed for something I didn’t do or say.

• Julia

September 18, 2017 #27 Author

Out of curiosity, how many people voted?

September 18, 2017 #28 Author

It depends on the category. Some categories had a few thousand.

• Gale Peacock

September 18, 2017 #29 Author

Would it be too much trouble, Craig, to post the vote totals with the percentages? It would be interesting to see which categories got a ton of votes.

• Michael CJ

September 18, 2017 #30 Author

I wish I voted, but the results are pretty much spot on!

September 19, 2017 #31 Author

There’s another Maria here? LOL that ain’t me just to let youyou know. Anyway, some Olicity fans didn’t really rally this year to vote because of the season and how they felt about Oliver. So that we won so many is just awesome because of the fact that there wasn’t really effort on our parts. lmao

Maybe this just goes to show that this whole Reddit crap is a minority.