Marc Guggenheim Talks Possible DC Character Restrictions For Arrow

Craig Byrne June 12, 2014 8

689863Paste Magazine just posted a really fascinating interview with Arrow Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim, and one of the topics that came up was whether or not the additions of Gotham on FOX and Constantine on NBC might put restrictions on what characters might be available for Arrow moving forward, since the shows will be on other networks.

(The Flash is, of course, on The CW.)

“I don’t know…we haven’t addressed it yet,” Guggenheim said about possible restrictions. “The way we work with DC is this—at the beginning of the year, they give us a list of characters who they think would be good for Arrow and that we might want to use. That’s always super helpful. Then, on an episode or arc basis, we’ll go to DC and say, ‘Can we use this character?’ Or, we’ll go, ‘Hey, we have a character like this, is there a DC character that fits that mold?’ Sometimes they say ‘yes,’ sometimes they say ‘no.’ Sometimes they say we can use one character but not another. There’s one character in Season Three that we couldn’t get, but DC proposed a better character. It just goes hand-in-hand. I think one of things people appreciated about Season Two was how far we went into the DC universe. We’ll be continuing that into Season Three,” he promised.

You can read the whole Guggenheim interview, including some talk about that Olicity moment from the finale, other TV show influences, how he became involved with Arrow, and more here.

1. L PALA June 12, 2014 at 11:49 am - Reply

I wish they’d stop introducing so many characters so quickly. What I enjoyed so much about the first season was getting to know the characters and being invested in who they were. Season 2 totally destroyed what I liked about the show. I wasn’t invested in anyone new, and that included Sara.

• JJB June 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm - Reply

They drew Sara out as far as they could. She was so fleshed out, that there was nothing left.

2. JJB June 12, 2014 at 3:46 pm - Reply

I hope DC doesn’t tie their hands too tightly. I understand Batman and Superman, but you have got to make sure you use the right character, for the right thing, at the right time. I bet the character they couldn’t get was Ra’s al Ghul, and the consolation was Lady Shiva.

• Bruce Wayne June 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm - Reply

If they couldn’t get Ra’s i doubt they would even be allowed to or that they would bother mentioning him as they would know that the fact that they were not allowed to use him would disappoint fans, so i doubt that’s what it is. My guess would be that they wanted Hal Jordan due to the Ferris teasers but DC said no and instead proposed Nightwing who might be considered a better character by some, like teased by Steven R. McQueen from The Vampire Diaries.

• JJB June 12, 2014 at 8:18 pm - Reply

I think the writers sneek little nuggets/easter eggs in (i.e. Ra’s name drop, Harley Quinn, mentions of Blüdhaven) just to appease fans of the comics. Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg have both stated in interviews that Superman and Batman’s core characters are off limits, by demand of DC. I hope that changes. I would freakin’ love to see Harley and/or Nightwing on Arrow. Fingers crossed!

• Max Simmons June 12, 2014 at 8:42 pm - Reply

Hey dude; they’ve already said that this year, for season 3, DC have opened up and allowed far less limited use of particular characters (especially the Batman characters) due to understanding the way that the show uses them now. So whereas they may have been unable initially to use Nightwing, now that DC likes the shows use of other characters, they’ll allow it. I however am not so sure I think it’s a great idea… Needs more focus on Roy than other teens being involved, unless that’s how they get Roy to start respecting Oliver maybe; pep talk from other young heroes?

3. Dae June 13, 2014 at 10:59 pm - Reply

Really hope we get the Question next season. That’s probably the highest on my list since it actually seems doable as opposed to others that us fans would like to see.

4. Deathstroke June 15, 2014 at 2:09 am - Reply

hmm so no Barbara Gordon anytime soon eh? There goes my dream for a TRUE Birds of Prey on Arrow (no Felicity Smoak aint Oracle).

If its repeatedly stated that Batman and Superman cant be used, what about Wonder Woman? Though thats probably very unlikely, also because I can see no way they can introduce an amazon princess who was either created or fathered by olympian gods in the reality of Arrow. Which also pretty much excludes characters like Shazam, Zatanna or Aquaman. With the exception of Flash I guess that means we are back to B-characters from the DCU

Leave A Response »